Friday, February 17, 2006

The week in review

You see how my site is called "Ramblings of a tired mind?" Today you will get to see the ramblings in action, only because I saved all my silly little stories to post in one big random Friday fun.

1. Yes,
this was my school, where I work. No, I wasn't on the hit list (no teachers were). No I didn't teach the student and so I didn't push him over the edge. Although I probably have pushed more than one student over the edge in my years of teaching. It just hasn't come back to haunt me yet. Not much happens in my lil' town. This is as exciting as it gets out here. See Em, things do happen in redneck land!

2. Note to self: It is not a good idea to try to surf blogs, pump breastmilk, and eat chocolate cake at the same time. Said cake will slop all down you, the keyboard, and said pumping hardware, creating a lovely mess. And then you will cuss. And then you will walk around all day with a big ol' brown mark on your shirt and people will laugh at you.

3. Apparently I look older than 65 or else kids these days don't really get history. While preparing to read a nonfiction piece on World War II yesterday with my Advanced class, I gave them some background on Pearl Harbor. Keep in mind, we had already discussed when Pearl Harbor happened in 1941. After our lovely discussion, a girl raised her hand and said, "Mrs. teacher, how old were you when Pearl Harbor happened?"

She was serious folks! Nice. I told Mark that we're using our tax returns for plastic surgery so I don't look 65 any more.

4. Thank you to all who left book suggestions yesterday. I had a BLAST checking out new books online. I thank you. Amazon.com thanks you. My credit card company thanks you. My husband? Not so much.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Do you have a good used bookstore around? We have an awesome one, where I can find books for me and the kiddo for $1 every time I go in. Sure, sometimes they're in the $3 range, but I figure that I spend so little with so many $1 and $2 books that I can afford a "splurge" every now and then. ;) And the books are in really good condition, too!

Mr. Mom said...

Note to Rachelle...eating in general is dangerous for you! :) Couple that with trying to multi-task and the National Disaster Relief Fund takes over! Just kidding! (not really) The part about being disappointed that you didn't make the list just proves the demented reference in your title! :) I love you! (Even though I tease you relentlessly)

jettybetty said...

I, too, would like to thank you for being a teacher--I don't think teachers have any idea of how much God is using them--middle school kids are surely never going to tell them!

Goes to prove kids have no idea of age when they are in middle school either. If I taught there, they would be asking me about the Pilgrims, I suppose.

BTW, I read Love You Forever to my son so many times I can still cry just seeing a picture of the cover. We literally wore that book out. It is soooo wonderful.

Your son is soooo cute!

ShelahBooksIt said...

Glad you didn't make the hit list.

Anonymous said...

So is the baby now drinking chocolate milk? Hee Hee.

Kathy said...

omyheck. i'm wanting to finish my secondary ed degree - but stories like this give me pause!

and sorry to hear the multi-tasking involving chocolate didn't go so well. i find i can't multi-task without it. (or single-task) for that matter.

Zoe said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I saw that you live in Utah, are you in Vernal? I saw that story on the news last night! I cannot believe how close that was! Good thing that nothing happened. Do you teach at that school or did you grow up in Vernal? Sorry, so many questions!! I am glad that things are okay now! :)

Zoe said...

Okay, duh, I just read your post!! :)

At A Hen's Pace said...

Enjoyed your random stories and your list of books too. We love many of the same. I'll do your husband a favor and I won't tempt you with other titles we like!

emlouisa said...

Holy heck! I can't believe that happend in Redneckville! Wow! I probably know the kid. Scary!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Holy Cow!!! Thats crazy!!! And I love the visual I am getting about the eating, surfing, pumping...LOL!!!!