Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pure evil

My diet has a new nemesis. My stomach problems jump started my diet. I'd been meaning to start one for months now, and I did start several. Then somebody would bring a treat to school, or my favorite junk food would be on sale, or my will power took a vacation, and I'd be back to eating junk. And then I'd start another diet and the cycle would repeat. You know how the cycle of righteousness - prosperity - pride - sin - downfall repeats several times in the Book of Mormon? I could write a book like that on the diets in my life. But after taking 4 Percocet in 8 hours, I decided I really needed to cut out any junk. And I did. I'd been so good for a few weeks now. I'd been able to pass up any sort of sugar, fast food, or other fatty or not good for you food. And then these purely evil things came back into my life. They'd been absent for almost a year now. And I had forgotten all about them. What are these evil things? Girl Scout cookies!

One of my teacher friends from school is very involved, along with her young daughter, in the Girl Scout program. So to support her daughter, each year many of us teachers buy several boxes of cookies. I placed my order back in January and forgot all about it - until this week when they came in. I thought, "I'll pay for them and put them in the freezer. They won't be so bad if I dole them out a few at a time. I can do that." Well, it turns out it doesn't work that way people. These things are pure evil! They have powers I never dreamed of.

I was good. I took them home and put some in the freezer. But of course, I had to eat a few first. So I opened a box of each of my favorite kinds, intending to eat only one or two. Several cookies later, I realized my plan was failing miserably and that I had eaten Camden's weight in cookies. Ok, not really, but it seemed close. In the middle of the night, I could hear these things calling to me from the freezer. During the day, they taunted me. There was only one thing left to do. Eat them all so the temptation was gone.

So that's been my new goal - eat them quickly and rid my home of the evil. It's working well too. The cookies are almost gone - except for the box that has managed to stay in the freezer. The only down side? I can no longer button my pants.

11 comments:

smart mama said...

they are deadly- can you beliebe when dh and got married he had never had a gs cookie

emlouisa said...

LOL! Okay, I did this SAME thing a couple of weeks ago. My mil brought us a big pan of brownies, some ham and a bunch of candy. I had started dieting but decided I couldn't do it until all the junk was gone, so I helped myself. Then later when I went to pick a prescription I ALSO picked up not one, but TWO bags of chips. We ate them in one weekend.

Good luck on the diet though! ;)

Pamela said...

If we have junk food in the house I feel like I have to hurry and eat it so I can get rid of it....lol
Not sure how healthy that is ;-)

Lee said...

LOL.. those evil cookies. You see the important thing when you see the cute kids selling them is to not make eye contact. Look away, and act as busy as possible, or put on your mean scary face, then you can stay away from them. lol..
They are so good huh? I haven't seen anyone selling them here. That is a good thing though.

bon said...

yah... because if you eat them fast, they can't all stick see? The junky-ness of the food quality of junk food causes everything to go through faster or something. Anyway it's good to have goals.

Sugarmama said...

I've always been of the opinion that it's best to totally gorge when junk comes my way. That way, it's not sitting around taunting me, causing me to eat weird stuff like baby carrots so I can "reward" myself with what I REALLY want to eat. And then also, I take the calorie hit all at once and make up for it with a couple days of salads. We bought 7 boxes of G.S. cookies--since I'm the troop cookie mom and all--and they lasted about a week. Which is a pretty good average in a household of 4, I think...

Dawnyel said...

I completely concur with everyone. Those cookies are out to get us! If there is a way to avoid eating the whole box in one sitting I haven't found it! I never thought to freeze them though! Maybe I'll try that, cold things don't sit well with me, but hey, that may make them more delicious! Thanks for sharing your weakness that it seems most of us have! :)

Carrie said...

Girl Scout cookies.:) Yum, is all I can say. I did go through a period of not wanting them when I was like 11. This was after selling 500 boxes so I could go to horse camp for two weeks. That phase passed ages ago and now I cannot pass up Girl Scout cookies that are in my house. I have to eat them.:)

Lei said...

Oh man, I have to go find me some girl scouts!!! :o)

Goslyn said...

I love girl scout cookies. I feel your pain.

Diana Mancuso said...

Oh my gosh! Girl Scout cookies are to die for! Where are those girl scouts when you need one?