Monday, March 06, 2006

Simple Pleasures Monday - Midnight Movies

Having a baby really messes with your sleep. Camden is 10.5 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night - mainly because we have allowed certain habits to develop and persist. Because of this, we often find ourselves wide awake in the middle of the night. Either Camden wakes us up or our internal Cam-o-meter goes off at the time he usually wakes and we're up. We'll toss and turn trying to go back to sleep, but some nights it just doesn't happen. Mark and I have developed a little routine on nights when we just can't get back to sleep. We watch movies together.

I've come to look forward to our midnight movies. Sure I don't want to be awake in the middle of the night every night, but once in awhile, it's fun to have that extra cuddle time together. Between both of us working (me days and Mark mostly evenings) and Mark going to school full time, our time together alone is limited. We're usually spending time as a family with Camden, which we love. But sometimes we crave that time alone together - without talk of Cam, bills, school, work, etc. And this middle of the night movie has allowed us to have some of that back.

Last night was one of those nights. We had gone to sleep at 9 pm (Yeah, we're real party animals staying up late like that). Around 11 pm, Cam woke up and was having a hard time getting back to sleep and staying asleep. So instead of bouncing in and out of sleep a million times to check on him, we popped in a movie. Occasionally we had to pause the movie as we checked on Cam as he fussed himself back to sleep, but we were able to cuddle for a little bit, laugh, and have some fun together. After the movie was over, we went back to sleep. I'm a bit tired today, but wouldn't trade that extra time with Mark for anything. So one of my new favorite simple pleasures is midnight movies with Mark.

14 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

Sounds fun! Better than our routine "you hungry?" "yeah, wanna get something?" "sure, sconecutter or Wendy's?". Makes it hard to lose any weight when you are pigging out at 11pm, lol.

Lei said...

We're irresponsible enough that we do the midnight movies without a waking child! I agree, they are a valuable time spent together!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Reminds me of one of my friends in Houston--she took her brother and SIL's twin babies for them one night so they could get some sleep. They stayed up all night playing board games!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is setting my alarm for seven AM so I can get in an episode of saved by the bell before work, while I'm half asleep. It's awesome.

Lee said...

I love midnight movies. But I have been doing them alone lately, but they are the best with your spouse. How fun!

Carrie said...

Couples, especially couples with children, need to make what time they can for each other. I think that is awesome that you do that. It makes me sad that someday my children will grow up, but it will happen and I will be with my husband and I want us to still be best friends and not strangers. Taking time, like you do with you hubby is a good way to remember who your best friend is.:) My hubby and I also try to come up with creative ways to spend time together. It is a blast.

Diana Mancuso said...

Glad to see you've overcome the latest bout of Blogger's Block.

It's wonderful that you spend that time with your husband. I feel it's very important. My husband and I try to spend some time together but we just end up watching t.v. till either one of us falls asleep in an awkward position. I miss out on the cuddling.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, sounds like fun!

lackrik said...

YAY for alone time with dh!

I hope Cam gets a routine soon! My ds is 9 1/2 months and has just started sleeping for about 7 hour stretches. We're hoping it sticks. ;)

Alicia said...

I think you're crazy (I will not leave my warm bed even if I'm wide awake!), but I'm glad you're having fun!

Fern Bourrie said...

Glad you guys are loving the remote!!!

Lisa M. said...

I Love LOVE times like that. They are precious and far between!

Goslyn said...

What an amazingly brilliant idea. We, too, do not get long stretches of uninterrupted sleep. Tom is teething and is particuarly wakeful as of late. Perhaps we will start the midnight movie tradition at our house, too.

Anonymous said...

What a great site »