Monday, March 20, 2006

Simple Pleasures Monday -A Good Book

I have a love affair with books. I can't help it. From an early age, I have loved to read. And I read voraciously. I always have. I am never without a book. I have books in all levels of my house. I have books in my car. I have books in my classroom. Even Camden has a ton of books. If I don't have a book, it's like being without air. I suffocate until I find something to read.

I discovered a love for reading in grade school. My mom tells a story of coming to my classroom as room mother to a holiday party. At home I was very talkative and never shut up, so it surprised her to no end to see me sitting in the corner of the classroom, noise and chaos surrounding me, while I ignored it all and just read.

As I became a teenager, I volunteered at the local library. I loved prowling around the library, shelving books. My favorite was the children's section. It brought me no end of pleasure to crawl among the children's bin, caressing well loved books as I put them away.

I love everything about books. I love the covers - the designs and descriptions. I love the pages - some yellowed with age, others crisp and untouched. I love the smell of books - the binding and glue, mixed with age. I love to hold a book and inhale its distinct fragrance. The new ones smell deliciously new and older ones have hints of aromas that tell a story all their own.

I love to dog-ear a book. Yes, I am one of those people. To me there is no better sign to show the love of a book than pages that have been turned down to mark a spot to return to at a later point. Books that have many dog-ears speak of treasured pages, stories that were meant to be continued. They show somebody cared enough to mark their spot and finish the story later.

I love to reread books. They are like old friends. After an absence, it's like returning to a treasured summer memory. In its pages are characters I've come to know and love, even though we have been apart for a few months or even several years. These old books welcome me back with open arms with their settings and stories that never change.

I get lost in books. Really and truly, I become so involved in books that it is like I am part of that book. I often call it "coming out" after I finish a good book. I step out of the book and back into my real life. I often find myself talking or acting like a certain character after finishing a book because I became so involved in their life and their character in the book.

Since becoming a mother and returning to work, my reading time is limited. I do make sure I read every day because a day is just not complete without it. But I cannot spend the hours I used to just reading. My "must read it" list is becoming longer than my "I read it" list because of my limited time. It's more important for me to spend time with Camden and Mark when I get home, rather than read. But once Cam is in bed for the night and Mark is gone to school, I read. And it's almost more enjoyable now, because I can't do it as often I used to. It becomes more meaningful. I choose what I read more carefully. If I get bored, I don't force my way through. I give myself permission to put a book away.

I am reading a deliciously thoughtful book right now. Not only is the story intriguing, but it makes me think, which is always a good combination. I am enjoying this book thoroughly. I find myself searching for moments to read it. Now is one of those such moments. I'm going to close now and go read my book. Reading - that's truly one of the most simple pleasures there is.

16 comments:

Dawnyel said...

I feel like you described my feelings exactly! I love going back to those old friends over and over. And I too become involved in the books. I have even found myself angry when the characters are, or completely in love. Books are wonderful!

Mr. Mom said...

She failed to mention the fact that once immersed in a good book the earth could rend itself in twain and she would not notice! :) I do love that my wife has such a passion for books and that we have been able to pass this love of books on to our son.

mommy to six J's said...

I wish I loved books like you do.I love to read magazines does that count

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY agree with you. I would be lost lost lost without books. And they're my academic career and my future, so it's good that I adore them as much as I do!

Norma said...

People think I read a lot, but nothing like you. I'm a heavy magazine reader--my attention span has shortened as I aged.

This entry was a real pleasure to read.

Mama D said...

I would say I love to read but I don't have quite the passion that you do. Also I find my time is so limited now that we have Baby A. I find I am spending a lot of spare time reading blogs and writing them. I enjoy writing so much but I know that the secret to good writing is a lot of reading!

smart mama said...

love books- the library is one of our hot spots-- sadly i am to much in the kids fare (yep we only have over 500 childrens books-- being a teacher gets you evry time!)

todays reading -- the wonderful flight to the mushroom planet to my ds-- one fo my favs from 3rd grade

Carrie said...

Oh, I hear you on this post. It is hard for me to put down a good book and step away. I get so involved with the characters. Books are such a wonderful way to escape for a moment and take a breather.

Bela said...

I love to re-read books also. I find stuff that I missed the first time and it's so neat!

Unknown said...

I love to sit down at night in my comfy chair, after the kids are in bed, after the house is cleaned up, and read. It is so relaxing and enjoyable!

Diana Mancuso said...

Such a simple pleasure indeed. I think your passion for reading is wonderful, especially when it comes to being a model for children. I was never very good at reading. I was slow and if I tried to read fast, I would often lose the meaning and end up rereading the passage. But I enjoy reading your blog. I'm very curious: What delicious book are you submersed in?

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Thanks for todays simple pleasures. I think instead of reading blogs, I may go read a real book!!!

Goslyn said...

I know exactly what you mean about the power of a good book. I have always been an avid reader. As a child my parents used to have to "frisk" me before I was allowed to use the bathroom, because I would take a book with me and spend the next hour in the potty. Usually sitting on the floor. It was a very successful way to read without interruption (like being forced to clean the kitchen after dinner) until the folks caught on.

What book are you reading now?

I recently finished The Time Traveller's Wife. Very good read. I highly recommend it.

emlouisa said...

I heart books too. I LOVE to read.

My mom would KILL you if you dog eared her books. Probably even make you buy her a new one. And I'm serious.

Emily

Alicia said...

I love to read too and I'm so sad that I haven't taken that opportunity lately.

I'm a dog-earer too.

Lei said...

I love books that touch on social issues... I may need to check this title out. I am in a reading funk right now. Not motivated. Reading means I have to sit down and I am doing more of that than I'd like to already. I'm sure after I have this baby and am up and running around like crazy again I will crave a good book reading session.