Monday, January 30, 2006

Simple Pleasures Monday

I'm starting a new Monday blog and I hope some of you will join me. I call it "Simple Pleasures Monday" (not very creative I know, but hey, it is Monday morning). Each Monday, choose a topic, any topic, and post about the simple pleasures in your life related to that topic. I know I need to count my blessings more and this will help me to do it. It will also help me slow down and notice the simple pleasures in the little things in life that I am often too busy to notice. I hope some of you will join me in this weekly posting! If you do, please leave me a note in the comments and I will be sure to check out your blog!

So for my topic this week:

Simple Pleasures of a sleeping baby (And early morning feedings)

Nothing is quite as beautiful as a sleeping child. Whether Camden is asleep for the night, or just a nap, I love to watch him sleep. His long lashes, his rosy cheeks, the way his mouth moves in a slight sucking motion as he sleeps - it's pure beauty. I love the way his little hands go to little fists and lay by his mouth as he curls up on his side. I love the little noises he makes in his sleep. It is one of my favorite things, one of my most simple pleasures, to walk in his room and watch him sleep. Only the fear of waking him up makes me leave the room.


I also love having some "me" time! With work and such, I feel guilty taking time for myself if Camden is awake, so his sleeping is my time. I either take a nap, read a book, play on the computer, or, if I really feel the need (and my house shows a need - which is often!), I clean. I love having a little break and indulging in a few things just for me. Of course, if Mark is at home (not working or at school), I love the time with him! Time to talk, time to cuddle, and sometimes, even time for sex! (which is the best use of the time.) And the best part about Camden sleeping is sleeping myself. Saturday's and Sunday's are guarantee nap for me when Camden naps.

As strange as it may sound, I also love feeding Camden in the night. I didn't in the beginning - I HATED it! But now that we do one feeding a night, usually in the early morning, I enjoy it. It's the only time anymore that Camden doesn't fight me on breastfeeding - he'll actually latch on and feed for more than 5 minutes. I love how his little face turns to me, seeking the comfort and nourishment that is best provided by mom. I love how his fingers run aimlessly through the bottom of my hair. I love the power of breastmilk. He'll be wide awake at the start of the feeding, but by the end he is slipping back into slumber. I love watching how his little eyes start to close and that contented look comes across his face as his belly is full again. It's also so fun to cuddle him in the night when he is not wiggling. Sometimes I linger a few extra minutes to give a little longer snuggle before putting him back in his crib for purely selfish reasons - because I love to have him near me and know these feedings won't last much longer.

Simple pleasures. That's what life is made of.

(And how many times did I say "love" in that post? A virtual plate of brownies to anybody who cares to count. I realized after that as an English teacher, I sure did use the same word a lot.)

4 comments:

emlouisa said...

Loving Simple Pleasures Monday! Hooray! I'm totally for it.

ShelahBooksIt said...

what a good idea!

Andrea said...

Its already tuesday here ;) but i'll give it a go....i'll be on time for next week though!

smart mama said...

what a great idea- (yes its wed. that shows how on the ball on i am)